Friday, May 24, 2013

The Issue of the Ear and Mental Rehearsal

Liszt’s Ballade in B minor S. 171 has been a centerpiece in my repertoire since age 14 when I spent about 8 months learning it. After two years, I brought it back for a run of competitions, and now I have resurrected it for my upcoming time in Europe and a series of five concerts in Germany and Italy. One of the recurring causes of frustration in my pianistic life, and one I have yet to see any other pianists write about on the innumerable blogs I follow, is the issue of cultivating my ear – learning to hear exactly what this ballade could sound like, if I could play it any way I wanted to. In other words, how do I know if I am following the score, and how do I learn to hear, evaluate, and criticize my own interpretation with all the discernment of a great artist? It is through the ear that a pianist becomes a great pianist.  Neuhaus and Gieseking talk at great length on this without ever actually proposing comprehensive solutions. So, we continue to flounder around a bit.  I’ll write more on this.

The problem with a too-good ear is that you become frustrated with your own playing, but an ear that is only one step ahead of your playing or right on the same level with it is one that won’t do you much good either; you become satisfied with your playing and run out of things to practice. Although my days of running out of steam on a piece are slowly coming to an end (at last!), I still find myself constantly swinging back and forth between total, unhealthy satisfaction (arrogance) and total, unhealthy dissatisfaction (depression).

Today was one of the dissatisfied days. Having spent most of last night listening to recordings of great yet still totally unknown pianists really took its toll on me this morning as I tried to practice and found myself confronted with more of my own weaknesses than ever before. I remember times when I used to have to force myself to make up criticisms in order to push myself to continue practicing, but today the new level of realization was debilitating. I gave up practicing after about two hours and hopped on the city bus for a change of scenery. After several hours of clearing my head and thinking deeply on issues mostly unrelated to music – namely the world population, God, and ice cream – I pulled out my score of the Liszt Ballade, which has been sitting untouched in my bag for about a week now, and started to do some mental practicing.

I was re-exposed to the extraordinary powers of mental rehearsal the other day by a recent study which showed that people who were given a piece of music to study away from the piano for two hours made basically equal progress to the ones who practiced it at the piano. Gieseking was known to study an entire piece by a composer, run through it a couple of times at an instrument and then record it – and these aren’t shabby recordings either! Take a listen to his Debussy Preludes

There is power in mental practicing. I have learned entire sections of pieces like Scarbo this way, but lately I had given it up for whatever reason. Well, picking it up today led me to have to deal with a principal issue in the beginning of the Liszt Ballade, one which I had always glossed over: the pedal. I’ll have to go into detail on my thoughts in another post.  The point is, mental practice has the power to improve your ear.

I sit down, make sure my posture is good and I am relaxed, just as I do when I practice normally, I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth several times, and then I visualize the piano and my hands as clearly as I can. I often face difficult-to-surmount mental blocks, and I can only see a few fingers at a time. Over the course of a few minutes, I gradually broaden my point of focus until I can see my entire hand in detail. I view the keys from different angles, and finally I set into the challenging and sensitive opening of the Liszt Ballade. There is no autopilot in mental practicing; you can’t just let the fingers go! They don’t move until you can see the key and visualize your finger depressing it; so everything goes slowly. I work on one hand at a time, I try to hear exactly how the sound of the string will peak and decay, and exactly how I play the note that comes after it in order to make them connect perfectly. I do it again and again until it’s perfect! Then I work through my plan for how I am going to make it perfect, every time.  It’s powerful, and it forces you to decide note-by-note exactly how you intend to make that note sound. For me, it is much more useful than sitting at the piano, but it is thus much more exhausting. There’s no pushing more than half an hour at a time at this method of practice, but I think you’ll find, as I did, that that half hour on the bus was more productive by far than the two hours this morning staring at the piano in the pits of despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment